Ferncroft on Ballard Lake

  • Article

    Ferncroft was one of the first resorts on Ballard Lake. It was operated by Gene Shepard of Rhinelander. The resort has since closed and been demolished. Shepard is the source of the stories of the Hodag, and perhaps of Paul Bunyon. (See the two sub-topics and their bibliographic references.) Talk of Shepard's Hodag being exhibited in Star Lake, meant exhibited at Ferncroft.

    March 11, 2020
  • Bibliography

    Major References

    Kortenhof, Kurt. Long Live the Hodag! The Life and Legacy of Eugene Simeon Shepard: 1854-1923. Rhinelander, 1996. View Full Entry
    Rismon, Ole. Ferncroft Inn Ballard Lake. [Chicago Tribune, June 2, 1911, p. 11.] Chicago, 1911. View Full Entry (Full text available)
    Shepard, Gene. Round River Drive. [In: Kearney, Hodag, The, And Other Tales of the Logging Camps] Madison, 1928. View Full Entry
    Vilas County Historical Museum. Eugene S. Shepard (A Local Legend). [Notes and Nostalgia, The Vilas Historical Museum Newsletter, VIII, 3rd Issue, Fall, 2006.] Sayner, 2006. View Full Entry

    Minor References

    Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. Northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan. [Brochure] Chicago, 1934. View Full Entry
    Ellerman, Cel. White Birch Lodge built in 1921 Has Interesting History. [Star Lake column, Vilas County News-Review, unk. date, 1963] Eagle River, 1963. View Full Entry
  • Links
  • Images
  • Miscellany